Wednesday, January 25, 2006

in search of shock!

AIRPORT POWER OUTLETS or lack thereof ...

I've started flying back & forth to the Bay Area to prepare for my ReLo. Later on the purpose of my recent trip.

GOAL WHILE AWAITING BOARDING ... a power outlet - ANY AVAILABLE outlet in Terminal 1 of the Oakland airport! (I have Terminal 2 already scoped out!)

JUICE for the flight ... I found an available outlet! I powered up to be sure I'd have enough juice for the less than 1.5 hour trip. I'd map out where these precious outlets are located but for the fact that I cannot predict whether there will be a cranky traveler hogging the outlet! (The map would be useless. It would be like having a map of all the Peet's Coffee shops, showing up, and finding them closed --- or worse yet, finding Starbucks in its place! HA! jk, sort of.)

SHARE & SHARE ALIKE ... After being declined access (politely and not so politely) by other travelers to several outlets being used to juice up their computer and/or cell phone, I PROMISE that if you see me at the airport "plugged in", I will share (or even give up) the outlet for your use - Just ask, nicely. And if you are one of those outlet hogs and you see me coming your way with laptop in tote, you can be certain that I will ask if I can share your juice. Deny me? Sure, but please be kind.

By the way, there are outlets ... under several water fountains. Just be aware - several fountain/outlets are adjacent to a restroom entrance.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank goodness that was a pic of the airport...I thought it was that S&M dungeon in your basement that I heard about.

You should try plugging in in the men's room; there are usually outlets for the electric shavers (don't know about Oakland, though). Just sneak in, plug in with an extension cord, and do your work on the john like the rest of us guys.

You ever consider just sitting there in a stupor like most travelers?

F from Sacto

11:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Shirley.

Thanks for the info about airport outlets. Nice to see that these are being placed as close to a source of water as possible. Do they put metal forks nearby, too?

10:34 AM  
Blogger shirlnutkin said...

Hey Steve in E ... I got curious and your question made me think. I checked with the Transportation Security Administration whether forks could even make it into the gated area (though I recall there are restaurants in the terminal).

A handy table of "Permitted and Prohibitted Items" for check-in and carry-on can be found at:

http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/
editorial/editorial_1012.xml

[Make sure NOT to include the line break on the above URL.]

So ... dining utensils (except knives) make it in ... from the list, I'm glad to know that my fellow travelers won't have any throwing stars, a cricket bat, or a cordless, portable drill. PHEW!

9:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home